Wednesday, August 27, 2008

When you wish upon a star

Apparently Jiminy came through for me. I've made a baby sweater and I'm almost done with a pair of socks. Thrummed mittens (and Latvian mittens) are in the works. I feel more and more like a "real knitter" every day -- and today I moved into a new realm: spinning. I have been tempted for ages, and on a rough day a week ago I finally broke down and ordered myself a drop spindle and some beautiful merino roving. (4 oz to start with, but don't worry, I have more on the way). It's handpainted and I got it from the lovely ladies at Paradise Fibers. The beginning was rough. I couldn't understand the directions very well and I just seemed to be making twisted roving, not yarn. I couldn't seem to get pieces to come out evenly and I was resigning myself to having to find a pattern that somehow could incorporate super-bulky singles and lace-weight singles without looking terrible -- when all of a sudden it fell into place. Now, I'm not claiming that the finished yarn is great, or even that it's anywhere close to all the same size... but the range is probably closer to dk up to bulky, and the changes aren't every single freakin' inch. If I had more of it, I could make a decent scarf. As it is, I'll probably make a hat. I still have an ounce or so of this merino, and a whole batt coming. Hmm. I'm lusting after some laceweight.

Jiminy, make me a real spinner?...

No comments: